House Repairs & Non-Permit Work

Building Code: Section 105.2.2 Repairs

Application or notice to the building official is not required for ordinary repairs to structures, replacement of lamps or the connection of approved portable electrical equipment to approved permanently installed receptacles. In general, for a work element to be considered a repair or replacement, the item, which is being repaired, must already exist. The following items are intended to represent individual replacement or repair work (repair and rebuild are not interchangeable terms).


Such repairs shall not include the:
  • Cutting away of any wall, partition or portion thereof
  • Removal or cutting of any structural beam or load-bearing support
  • Removal or change of any required means of egress
  • Rearrangement of parts of a structure affecting the egress requirements
Ordinary repairs will not include addition to, alteration of, replacement or relocation of any of the following:
  • Drain leader
  • Drainage
  • Electric wiring or mechanical
  • Gas
  • Other work affecting public health or general safety
  • Sewer
  • Soil
  • Vent or similar piping
  • Waste
  • Water supply

Examples of Repairs

Examples of work which may be classified as repairs include:
  • Installing replacement windows into existing window openings
  • Painting or wallpapering
  • Repairing cabinets or countertops
  • Repairing floors or carpets
  • Repairing interior trim
  • Repairing masonry or roofing material
  • Repairing windows, doors or siding
  • Replacing a sink, water closet, or bathing fixture in the same location
  • Replacing an existing electrical receptacle
  • Replacing an existing light fixture

Historic Renovations & Repairs

Repairs or renovations made to the exterior facade of structures in the Historic District shall require Historic District Commission approval.

Other Non-Permit Projects

Permits are not required for the following items:
  • Fences not over 6 feet in height
  • Retaining walls not over 6 feet in height unless supporting a surcharge
  • Sidewalks and patios
  • Swings and other playground equipment