Burning Permits & Outdoor Burning

State Ordinance

  • Per New Hampshire RSA 227-L:17 (PDF), a written permit shall be required to kindle an outdoor fire.
  • Permits are not required if the ground is covered with at least 1 inch of snow in a diameter of at least 100 feet around the burn area.
  • All laws, regulations, and ordinances must still be followed even if a permit is not required under the snow exception.

Daily Burn Permits

Daily Burn Permits can be obtained at the Bedford Fire Department starting at 4 p.m. Daily permits are valid from 5 p.m. until midnight of the day they are issued. Seasonal Burn Permits can also be obtained.

Non-Landowner Requests

If a person other than a landowner wishes to obtain any category of fire permit, they must submit a letter of written permission from the landowner before a permit will be issued.
Prevent Forest Fires with Smokey the Bear