When a LAW ENFORCEMENT officer responds to domestic violence at your home, the Bedford Police Department requires that they take all reasonable steps to prevent any further abuse, including, but not limited to:
- Arresting the abuser when the officer has probable cause to believe an offense under NH RSA 173:B has occurred. (For list of qualifying offenses, please go to http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/
- Assisting you by providing or arranging transportation for you to a hospital or shelter.
- Assisting you in obtaining the necessary personal belongings (clothing for you and your children, medicines, legal papers, etc.) by accompanying you back to the home you left and standing by while you gather these items.
- Advising you of your rights under the law and explaining how to press charges if the abuser has not been arrested.
- Making a police report on every bonafide allegation of domestic violence.