- Public Works
- Transfer Station
- Recycling Guide
The Town of Bedford's current recycling program is single stream recycling with separation of mixed glass hand sorted by the user. Recycling is not mandatory but strongly encouraged.
View how to get started recycling in 5-easy-steps here.
What items can be recycled at the Transfer Station?
- Flattened Cardboard & Paperboard
- Paper Egg Cartons
- Mixed Paper (Office Paper, Envelopes, File Folders. Paper Bags )
- Newspaper, Magazines, Catalogs, Phone Books
- Plastic (Bottles, Jugs, Tubs, and Containers)
- Steel/Tin Cans & Lids
- Aluminum Cans & Lids
- Staples & Paper Clips
- Glass (MUST BE SEPARATED)
- Waxed boxes and cartons
- Receipts & Glossy Paper
- Food Soiled Paper/Boxes
- Snack Bags & Wrappers
- Garden Hoses
- Plastic Film Packaging
- Paper Towels, Tissues, Napkins
- *Plastic Bags
- Styrofoam, bubble wrap
- Paint & Aerosol Cans
*Plastic bags can be dropped in the white bins located inside the recycling building next to the recycling compactors at the Transfer Station or follow this link to find a bag drop off near you: https://bagandfilmrecycling.org/. The bin at the Transfer Station is run by the Bedford Lions Club. The Lions Club repurposes the bags and turns them into composite benches. Click here to view what types of bag can be recycled.
Recycling makes a large impact on our community and the environment. As part of the Town's effort to reduce the amount of waste thrown into the municipal solid waste stream, there are many other items (listed below) that residents can dispose of at the Transfer Station that will be recycled and/or repurposed by a variety of vendors the Town utilizes.
- Auto-Related Items (Batteries, Oil, Antifreeze, and Gasoline) - Free
- Books - Free
- Clothing Textiles - Free
- Food Waste - Free
- Metal - Free
- Rechargeable Batteries - Free
- Used Vegetable Oil - Free
- Air Conditioners - $10 each
- Refrigerator (door must be removed) - $15 each
- Propane Tanks - $5 each
- Tires - Passenger $5 each, Commercial Truck $25 each, Off Road/Heavy Equipment $30 each
- TV's and Monitors - $15 Each
Want to learn more about recycling? Check out the flyers below!